Saturday 24 March 2012

At Yellow Lake Ready to Launch

A week from today, I'll be in Minneapolis, Minnesota, for the American launch of "At Yellow Lake"





An event in my mother's hometown, in the company of family members and life-long friends, is the most fitting launch I could imagine for my book. I'm so grateful to my publishers for making this happen, and to the wonderful people who've supported me over the years.And the thought that there will be more events  in the future, with other groups of  family and friends, makes me feel very, very fortunate.

I'll be blogging in future weeks about the real Yellow Lake, and the importance this special place has had in my life.   

But for today, I'd like to paraphrase a point made in November by Frank Cottrell Boyce in his brilliant SCBWI British Isles conference keynote speech. He said that an important part of being  writer is paying things back--referencing the stories and books we've been lucky enough to read, and honouring the places and people we've been lucky enough to know. 

I thought of "At Yellow Lake" when I heard those words. The book. The place. And all the people who've been part of both. 

Thanks, everyone.

10 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful time and enjoy your launch! (Are you going to launch yourself into the lake?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab! Hope it goes really well. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jackie. No, no lake jumping for me...might wet my toes, though. Very warm weather there at the moment, but usually at this time of the year the lake would still be frozen over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane, Hope you have a fabulous launch - and holiday - with your family and friends. I can't wait to read At Yellow Lake! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a fantastic time and enjoy every minute of it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a good launch. I'm really looking forward to reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shame I can't come. Wild Rumpus is the most awesome name for a children's book shop ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks an amazing place, Nick....complete with animals--guinea pigs, rabbits, cats, etc! Thanks everyone, no doubt I shall keep you all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a wonderful and special time at your launch, Jane!

    ReplyDelete